I can't believe it's already June and the end of the school year is right around the corner. It's time to show your child's teacher how much they mean to you! As a former pre-kindergarten teacher, I know from experience that healthy snacks are always appreciated. You can make your own nut and seed brittle using the recipe below and wrap up the goodies in a plastic container or mason jar. It's a DIY teacher appreciation gift kids can make, and teachers are sure to appreciate the extra love that went into the present.
Have your child make a thank you card for their teacher, tie a ribbon around the finished product and voila! Just make sure your child's teacher doesn't have any nut allergies. It's time to show these overworked and underpaid everyday heroes how much we appreciate having them in our lives!
This recipe was shared with us by our friends at Bauman College, a non-profit, holistic nutrition and culinary arts vocational school located in Northern California. We love how this brittle is a high-protein dessert using a natural sweetener and a variety of nutritious nuts and seeds. And how delicious it is!
Nut and Seed Brittle
30 mins prep time and 15-30 mins bake time
Makes one sheet pan of brittle
Recipe from our friends at Bauman College
- ½ cup maple syrup (divided)
- 2 cups sunflower seeds (raw, unsalted)
- 1 cup cashews (raw, unsalted)
- 1 cup almonds (raw, unsalted)
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 orange, zested
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
- 1 large bowl
- Mixing spoon or spatula
- ¼ cup measuring cup
- ½ cup measuring cup
- 1 cup measuring cup
- 1 tsp measuring spoon
- ¼ tsp measuring spoon
- Food processor or plastic bag and meat tenderizer (for breaking apart nuts)
- Microplane or box grater
- Wash your hands.
- **Grown-up** Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour ¼ cup maple syrup into large bowl (save the rest for later).
- Add 2 cups sunflower seeds to large bowl and stir using mixing spoon or spatula until well coated.
- Using food processor, coarsely chop 1 cup cashews and 1 cup almonds. OR you can put cashews and almonds into a plastic bag and break them into smaller pieces using a meat tenderizer. (FYI using a meat tenderizer can be super fun for kids!)
- Add coarsely chopped cashews and almonds to large bowl.
- Measure ½ cup sesame seeds, 2 tsp of cinnamon and ¼ tsp of sea salt to add to large bowl.
- Carefully zest 1 orange using microplane or grater. **Grown-up** you may want to help with this step.
- Mix everything together.
- Add remaining ¼ cup maple syrup and mix thoroughly.
- Evenly spread nut and seed mixture onto baking sheet.
- **Grown-up** Bake for 15-30 mins.
- Clean up prep area and dishes. Make your teacher a card to thank her/him for being awesome!
- **Grown-up** Once nuts are toasted and hardened (not soft and sticky) in the middle of the pan, remove from from oven.
- Let cool completely before breaking into pieces with your hands.
- Time to nom!
- You can make this with different nuts and seeds.
- You can also try different spices. Nutmeg and cardamom are good options!
- For a decadent treat, break the brittle apart and dip in melted chocolate.