Looking for a Cinco de Mayo recipe your chef pequeño can make for your fiesta? We've got you covered with our Cinco de Mayo Mexican Carrot Slaw recipe. Your niños will love shredding carrots and radishes in the food processor. Kid chefs will also love the yummy lime, cumin, and cilantro that give these carrots a Mexican twist. !Qué sabroso!
We served our Mexican Carrot Slaw with tacos. Our go-to taco fillings: chicken cooked in taco seasoning, tomato salsa, avocado lime crema, and black beans. But, we think this carrot slaw would be muy delicioso with any taco fillings you can dream up, or as a side to any meal.
If you make this Mexican Carrot Slaw, take a picture and tag @nomsterchef on Instagram or Facebook!
CINCO DE MAYO MEXICAN CARROT SLAW
Serves 6-8 as a side or taco topping | 30 minutes
Recipe inspired by The Cookin Canuck
- 2 large carrots
- 1 bunch radishes (about 1 lb or 12 radishes)
- Cilantro (small bunch)
- 1/2 a jalapeño (optional)
- 2 limes
- Ground cumin
- Olive oil
- Honey or agave nectar
- Food processor with grater blade
- Vegetable peeler
- Grown-up chef knife
- Medium mixing bowl
- Small bowl
- Mixing spoon
- 1 TBSP measuring spoon or mini measuring cup
- 1 tsp measuring spoon
- Wash veggies and cilantro
- Peel the carrots
- **Grown-up**: Cut off ends of carrots. Trim both sides of all radishes. Optional: Cut the jalapeño in half and remove the seeds. Set up food processor with the shredder attachment, and secure the lid. Remove the veggie pusher guard from the top of the food processor.
- With a grown-up's help, turn on the food processor. Push the carrots and radishes into the food processor with the plastic guard.
- **Grown-up**: pour the shredded carrots and radishes into the mixing bowl.
- Pick cilantro leaves off the stems of a small bunch. With your hands, tear the leaves into small pieces. Add as much cilantro as you'd like to the mixing bowl.
- Measure 2 tsp honey and pour into the small bowl.
- Measure 1 tsp ground cumin and pour into small bowl.
- Measure 2 TBSP of olive oil and pour into small bowl.
- Add a pinch of salt to the small bowl.
- **Grown-up**: Cut 2 limes with grown-up chef knife. **Kid**: Squeeze the juice of 2 limes into small bowl.
- Whisk the dressing in the small bowl.
- Pour the dressing into the mixing bowl with the veggies.
- Nom by itself, as a side, or as a taco topping.
- Clean up!