Z is for Zucchini! The last of the vegetable alphabet, Zucchini is a veggie that's in the same family as pumpkins! Zucchinis are technically fruits because they grow from a small yellow flower. Zucchini's a great sources of vitamin C and can be used in just about any dish, such as Zucchini Sushi!
Zucchini Sushi is a new take on an old favorite that's easy to make and even easier to eat! It's the perfect dish for a snack, a party, or for a fun and creative afternoon savory treat! Don't worry about the raw fish in this kind of sushi, we used canned tuna.
Serves 10 | Total Time: 20 minutes
Inspired by Delish
- 1 zucchini
- 1 cucumber
- 4 oz. plain hummus (Here's our recipe for hummus)
- 1/2 tsp. sriracha (optional)
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 4 oz. can of tuna
- 1/4 of a beefsteak tomato, sliced
- 1/2 of an avocado, diced
- 1 tsp. roasted sesame seeds to taste
- Vegetable peeler
- cutting board
- Chef’s Knife
- Kid Chef Knife (Amazon Link)
- Can Opener
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoon
- Wash Hands
- Wash Zucchini, Cucumber and Tomato
- With a can opener, open the can of tuna.
- Measure out 1 cup of tuna.
- Drain the excess water out of the tuna by pressing it into a paper towel.
- Shred the tuna with your hands or with a fork.
- With a vegetable peeler, carefully peel the zucchini lengthwise. You should have long strips of zucchini.
- Lay the slices of Zucchini on a paper towel to dry. Lightly salt them to drain out the excess water.
- With a Kid Chef’s Knife cut a cucumber in half.
- Slice the cucumber into half-moon shapes.
- Slice the cucumber into thin matchsticks.
- Cut a beefsteak tomato in half. Then cut one of the halves in half.
- Scoop out any seeds with a spoon.
- Cut into thin matchsticks.
- Using a paper towel, press the tomato and cucumber dry.
- Measure out 1/3 cup of plain hummus.
- Measure out 1/2 tsp. of sriracha sauce.
- Measure out 1 tsp. of lime juice.
- In a small bowl, mix the sriracha, lime juice and hummus together.
- **Grown Up** With a Big Chef’s Knife, cut an avocado in half. Remove the seed pod.
- With the Kid Chef Knife, dice the avocado while it’s still in it’s peel.
- Scoop out the diced avocado.
- Lay out the slices of zucchini on a cutting board.
- Take a half teaspoon full of the hummus mix and spread it thinly over the zucchini.
- On one side of the zucchini sheet, place the sliced tomato, avocado, and cucumber.
- Roll the side with the tomato, avocado and cucumber in, pressing gently so that everything stays in place.
- Place the rolled zucchini sushi on a plate.
- Garnish with sesame seeds.
**Grown Up Tips**
- To cut an avocado properly, cut into the avocado until you hit the pit, then cut clockwise until there is a cut around the entire avocado. Then just twist and pull.
- Siracha might be too much for little chefs to handle. Keep in mind how much you use.
- Store bought tuna and hummus is fine if you can’t cook or make your own. Check the ingredient label on the product to make sure you’re getting the healthiest product!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR & PHOTOGRAPHER
Lincoln Gardner is a senior at Ithaca College with a major in Television-Radio and a Writing minor. She’s worked as Production Intern for The Ithaca Voice and as a Assistant Director for the college television show ‘Sautéed’ for three seasons.
Nomster Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Clicking on these links and making a purchase earns Nomster Chef a small commission, at no additional cost to you. We are not otherwise paid or perked to recommend these products. Thanks so much for your support!