This is the first recipe, of many, in our Food Hacks series (yay!). We’ll be sharing recipes for some of your favorite grocery staples that you can easily make at home.
This make your own hummus recipe is super quick and easy to make, perfect for kid chefs. The finished product is super creamy and oh so tasty, you’re going to want to make it again….and again. Trust us, you won’t regret it. Just don't be surprised if your Nomster eats it all up!
Food Hacks: Make Your Own Hummus
Makes 1-1 ½ cups of hummus | Recipe adapted from Inspired Taste
25 mins prep time
- 1 14 oz can chickpeas
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp fresh dill
- ½ tsp salt
- Paprika, to garnish
- Food processor or blender
- Child friendly knife or butter knife
- Cutting board
- ¼ cup measuring cup
- 1 Tbsp measuring spoon
- ½ tsp measuring spoon
- Mixing spatula
- Cup (drinking glass or liquid measuring cup)
- Wash your hands.
- **Grown-up** Set up food processor with S-blade.
- Measure out ¼ cup tahini and pour in food processor.
- Cut lemon in half and squeeze juice from both halves into food processor.
- **Grown-up** Place cover on food processor. Process tahini and lemon juice for 1 minute. Then scrape down sides using mixing spatula. Replace cover and process for another 30 seconds. Blending the tahini for longer will make your hummus more smooth.
- Peel and chop garlic using child friendly knife.
- Add chopped garlic clove, ¼ cup olive oil, ½ tsp cumin and ½ tsp salt to food processor.
- **Grown-up** Replace cover and process for 30 seconds. Scrape down sides, replace cover and process for another 30 seconds.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas, over a cup so you can save the liquid.
- Add chickpeas to food processor.
- **Grown-up** replace cover and process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of food processor.
- Wash and add 2 Tbsp fresh dill to food processor.
- **Grown-up** Replace cover and process for another minute. If the hummus is too thick, add some of the reserved chickpea water until you reach the desired consistency.
- Serve hummus with a dash of paprika. Enjoy with tomatoes and cucumbers or crackers!
- Remember to clean up!
- You can use a blender or a bullet, but it may not be as creamy as using a food processor.
- Store your hummus in an airtight container and it will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Check out other recipes in our Food Hacks series:
Amazon Link Disclosure: Nomster Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Clicking on these links and making a purchase earns Nomster Chef a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Thanks so much for your support!