We LOVE kale here at Nomster Chef and hope you do, too! It's high in fiber and has tons of iron, vitamin k and antioxidants. As if it could get any better, you can also make "chips" out of kale! So fun and easy to nom on. This Taco Kale Chip version has some of our favorite Mexican spices, plus nutritional yeast (an ingredient that tastes like cheese but is healthy and vegan). Mmm!
Taco Kale Chips
Serves 4 as a snack
20 mins active prep and 25 mins bake time
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast seasoning
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 lime
- ¼ tsp cayenne (optional)
- 2 rimmed baking sheets
- Parchment paper/wax paper/silicone baking sheet
- Salad spinner or colander and paper towels
- Large bowl
- Measuring spoons (1 Tsp, 1 tsp, ½ tsp, ¼ tsp)
- Kid chef knife or butter knife
- Cutting board
- Wash your hands.
- **Grown-up** Preheat oven to 300F. Prepare pans by lining 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper, wax paper, or silicone baking sheet.
- Remove kale leaves from stems. Tear the leaves into smaller pieces. They don’t need to be very small, you just don’t want giant leaves.
- Put leaves in salad spinner or colander to wash kale and thoroughly dry. Dry with paper towels if using a colander.
- Put kale leaves into large bowl.
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to large bowl.
- Massage the kale with your hands until leaves are coated with olive oil.
- Measure 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast seasoning, 2 tsp cumin, 2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp salt. Add seasonings to bowl with kale leaves.
- (Optional) Measure 1/4 tsp cayenne and add to bowl with kale leaves. If your family doesn’t like spicy food, leave this out.
- Using your kid chef knife and cutting board, cut lime in half. Squeeze juice from ½ the lime into bowl. Save the other half for another use.
- Mix kale and seasonings together with your hands.
- Divide kale evenly between 2 baking sheets. Arrange the kale in one layer so it gets extra crispy.
- **Grown-up** Place both baking trays in oven
- Set a timer and bake for 10 mins. Total bake time is 25 mins, but you’ll rotate it after 10 mins.
- **Grown-up** Rotate both baking trays.
- Set timer and bake for another 15 mins or until kale leaves are crispy and slightly golden brown.
- While kale is baking, clean up, clean up, everybody everywhere!
- **Grown-up** Remove both baking trays from oven and let cool for 3 mins.
- Time to nom!
- You can substitute your own seasonings into this recipe or just go classic with olive oil, salt and pepper. This recipe is super versatile!
- Kale chips are best eaten when fresh, but you can store leftovers in a covered container at room temperature.