F is for…FLAX SEED mug muffins. Flax seeds are great because of their many health benefits and also because they’re so versatile! You can add whole flax seeds to smoothies or oatmeal. Or you can use flax seed meal in baked goods like cookies, breads and muffins. Flax seeds themselves don’t taste like much which is also why it’s so easy to add them to your recipes. Flax seed ice cream sprinkles anyone? Just kidding, too far.
We decided to make these flax seed mug muffins and were pleasantly surprised by how yummy they were. They tasted like cinnamon coffee cake! These muffins in a mug are doubly great if you or your little ones are lacking in self control (we definitely have none). You can make just 1 muffin so no need to tempt yourself with an entire tray.
Let us know if you or your kids have anything in mind you want us to make! We’d love to hear from you.
Flax Seed Mug Muffins
Makes 1 muffin | Inspired by Food.com
10 mins prep, 1-1:30 min microwave
Collect Your Ingredients
- 2 tbsp flax seed meal (or whole flax seeds, see note below)
- 2 tbsp brown rice flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp coconut oil (or oil of your choice)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 10 frozen blueberries (or other add-in, you choose!)
Collect Your Tools
- 1 tbsp measuring spoon
- 1 tsp measuring spoon
- ½ tsp measuring spoon
- Small whisk or fork
- Wash your hands.
- Measure 2 tbsp flax seed meal and add to mug
- Measure 2 tbsp brown rice flour and add to mug
- Measure 1 tbsp honey and add to mug
- Measure 1 tsp cinnamon and add to mug
- Measure 1 tsp coconut oil and add to mug
- Measure ½ tsp baking powder and add to mug
- Carefully crack 1 egg into mug. **Grown-up** you may need to help with this step.
- Mix in add-ins (blueberries, etc.)
- Microwave on high for 1 min. If using frozen fruit, microwave on high for 1 min 30 seconds
- **Grown-up** Remove mug from microwave and let cool. It’s SUPER HOT when it comes out of the microwave. If your little one is getting hangry, scoop it out of the mug, it will cool way faster!!
- Clean up while you’re waiting for your muffin to cool.
- Time to nom!
- We added frozen blueberries, but you can really add any fruit you want to these flax seed mug muffins. Or even add chocolate chips for a sweet treat! We're excited to try these muffins with apples or bananas next!
- If you only have whole flax seeds in your house, you can use a spice grinder to make flax seed meal.
- We like the taste of coconut oil in these muffins, but substituting olive oil or canola oil also works!