It's almost Halloween! Get in the spooky spirit by making this Halloween recipe for kids: Mini Mummy Pizzas. Not only is it super delicious, it also has a secret hidden veggie. The dough is made out of cauliflower, and packs a whole serving of vegetables. Bonus points!
With Halloween comes plenty of parties, and this is a yummy and healthy treat that everyone young and old can enjoy. It also would make a great lunch, dinner or fun treat before trick-or-treating. Kids will love being able to get their hands dirty mixing the dough base, and can pretend that the mixture feels like brains, as the little mad scientists help to make it. Muahaha.
Mini Mummy Pizzas
Makes 2-4 servings | Inspired by News for Chews
Time: 35 minutes
2 cups of cauliflower pearls (frozen or fresh)
3 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon of oregano
1/4 cup of tomato sauce
1 package of sliced mozzarella cheese
Small can of sliced olives
Salt & pepper
Large mixing bowl
Cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
Kid chef knife (or a butter knife)
**Grown-up** Preheat oven 350° F
Combine cauliflower, grated parmesan, oregano, salt and pepper into a bowl and stir.
Germ Alert: Raw eggs make you sick! Make sure to wash your hands after touching raw eggs, and never eat them.
Crack one egg into mixing bowl. Wash hands.
Use mixing spoon to combine egg with other ingredients in bowl.
- Use measuring cup to scoop out 1/3 cup of the mixture and use your hands to spread it out into circles on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. (just like making cookies!)
**Grown-up** Put tray in oven. Kid: set timer for 15 minutes.
While waiting, cut mozzarella into thin strips to look like mummy wraps.
- **Grown up** Once timer is done, take the crusts out of the oven and wait a couple minutes to cool. Then, transfer the crusts onto a cool plate to add finishing touches.
Add a spoonful of tomato sauce onto crusts.
- Lay the strips of mozzarella over the crusts. Get creative!
Add two olives for eyes.
- **Grown up** Set oven to broil and put decorated pizzas back into oven. Kid: set timer for two minutes.
- **Grown up** Take out tray and let cool.
Grown-up Pro Tips:
1. You may be wondering, what in the world are cauliflower pearls? Cauliflower pearls come in many forms, and can be found at almost any grocery store. They can be fresh, found in the produce section, or frozen. Sometimes they are called riced cauliflower, but it's all the same! We used fresh cauliflower pearls in this recipe, but any version of small pieces of cauliflower works!
2. Feel free to add in any other spices into your cauliflower crust mix. We added oregano to give it an Italian flare, but any herbs or spices of preference works, too!
3. When putting the mini mummy pizzas back into the oven for a second time, make sure to watch closely! If they are left in the oven for too long, the cheese gets too melty, and you won't be able to see the mummy's bandages. Keep an eye on your mummy friends.
4. This Halloween recipe for kids can be made for any holiday, or even just a regular day! The Mini Mummy Pizzas could be transformed into a bunch of different faces and places, depending on the ingredients.
About the Author & Photographer
Katie Holzman is a Social Media Marketing Intern for Nomster Chef. She is currently a junior at Ithaca College studying television-radio and marketing. She loves creating food media almost as much as she loves eating, and you can check out more of her work at her blog or @katies_plate on Instagram!
Amazon Link Disclosure: Nomster Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Clicking on these links and making a purchase earns Nomster Chef a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Thanks so much for your support!